Baptism, the Eucharist, and the sacrament of Confirmation together constitute the “sacraments of Christian initiation” whose unity must be safeguarded.
The reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. For “by the sacrament of Confirmation, the baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed”(Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1285).
The effects of Confirmation
From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
– it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”;
– it unites us more firmly to Christ;
– it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
– it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
– it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1303).
There is a preparation for this sacrament. You can start the programme of preparation for Confirmation and at the end of the course you will decide if imitating Christ in the Catholic Church is your way of freedom which brings you to happiness.
Confirmation will take place in the Summer of 2022 (provisional date 9th July). Applications for this year’s Confirmation Preparation Course are now closed. Please watch out on this page for updates regarding applications for the 2023 course.
Download the Application Form – click here.
Download the Smallest Catechism of the Catholic Church – click here.